Author: Jessica Gunn
Narrator: Shannon Condon
Length: 6 hours and 42 minutes
Series: Hunter Circle, Book 1
Publisher: Jessica Gunn
Released: Aug. 16, 2018
Genre: Urban Fantasy
I'm Krystin Blackwood, and I've only ever been good at one thing: killing demons of Darkness. But at 24, I'm about to face my toughest challenge yet: shifting from working alone to joining a team of three other Hunters. Newbie Hunters.
They don't know their magik, they barely know their place in the world, and when they find out the secrets I've been carrying, they'll definitely decide it's safer if they don't know me.
But unfortunately for them - and me - Darkness has other plans. Lady Azar, Darkness's heir, stole my new team leader's kid two years ago. Now, she and her lackeys are rallying to exchange Ben's kid for me because of the power I wield. I'm one half of a prophecy to save an ancient city the Powers of Good lost centuries ago. And if I fail or die before that happens, the destruction of that city will be felt across all planes of existence.
If we can't find Ben's son before All Hallows' Eve and somehow save him without putting my life at risk, that existential explosion will absolutely happen. But it'll be nothing compared to the destruction wrought if Lady Azar changes Ben's son into a demon...and her minion
Because the only thing more dangerous than me with a blade is a father's wrath.
- Tell us about the process of turning your book into an audiobook.
- It was so fun! To be able to work with Shannon has been a dream. I got to experience this story for the first time, which is such a surreal experience. But Shannon really brought the world and characters to life with her performance. This entire process has been so amazing and exciting :) (And yes, magical!)
- Do you believe certain types of writing translate better into audiobook format?
- No. I think any type can work into the audiobook format as long as the narrator fits and works their magic :)
- Was a possible audiobook recording something you were conscious of while writing?
- No! Never! I never thought I’d have the opportunity to work with a narrator and make The Hunted into an audiobook. I’ve always seen it as a movie in my head, but never this. So this is super exciting!
- How did you select your narrator?
- I have the privilege of knowing Shannon “in real life” and have seen her incredible acting ability, so of course I asked if she’d be interested in narrating the Hunter Circles Series!
- How closely did you work with your narrator before and during the recording process? Did you give them any pronunciation tips or special insight into the characters?
- We worked together before recording on names and world-specific words like the word-magiks. Other than that, I didn’t really give Shannon any direction or insight into the characters. She nailed how I envisioned every single of one of them on the first chapter!
- Were there any real life inspirations behind your writing?
- A few, actually! I LOVE Boston. The city has just always felt alive to me, so of course I had to use it as a setting. I also think a lot of superhero shows and movies have informed these books too.
- How do you manage to avoid burn-out? What do you do to maintain your enthusiasm for writing?
- This is a tough one, especially lately. I love writing, but I also make sure to spend time with other hobbies and loves as well. I watching TV series new and old and I also play D&D. Both are still creative outlets for me, but in very different ways, AND they’re both relaxing. These work together to rejuvenate me and keep my motivation going :)
- Are you an audiobook listener? What about the audiobook format appeals to you?
- I am! I love how versatile it is. Being able to “read” while driving or cleaning or taking a walk and not having to hold the book while doing so is amazing. I also love listening to ways narrators interpret the world, characters, and story. There’s something special about this format!
- Is there a particular part of this story that you feel is more resonating in the audiobook performance than in the book format?
- I think what comes through better in the audiobook format--and it really is a testament to Shannon’s interpretation and performance--is how alive the world feels as well as the characters. Especially their personalities, and especially Krystin!
- If you had the power to time travel, would you use it? If yes, when and where would you go?
- Oh absolutely, 100%. I’d go watch Stonehenge get built so I could A) see how it was done and B) see what it looked like completed. I’m a total ancient history nerd!
Shannon Condon is a New York City based Actor, Voice Actor, Improviser and Filmmaker. Shannon is a proud member of SAG-AFTRA, and is recognized by her unique voice and quick-witted humor. When not recording, she can be found playing with her dog/best friend, Maple. For more updates visit shannoncondon.com
➜Sign up as a host here